New Nevada residents must obtain their driver license within 30 days. You must register your vehicles at the same time or within 60 days, whichever is sooner. The fine for failing to register your vehicle is $250-$500.

Items Needed for Typical Transfers


  • Your Valid, State-Issued Driver License or ID Card
    This must contain your name and date of birth. If your license is expired, suspended or revoked, contact us to determine what you need to do. You must also provide additional proof of identity as outlined below.
  • Proof of Your Social Security Number
    If your social security number is not printed on your driver license, you will need to bring your social security card or other proof of your number.
  • Additional Proof of Identity
    We do not accept other states’ licenses, instruction permits or ID cards as proof of identity. Please bring one of the documents listed in addition to your license, permit or ID card.

Proof of Identity Documents

Certified U.S. Issued Birth Certificate or Certified Abstract (hospital copies are not accepted)
U.S. Passport (valid or expired less than 1 year)
U.S. Military Identification or Military Report of Separation
Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization
Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood
Consular Report of Birth Abroad
Permanent or Temporary Resident Card
Resident Alien Card or I-551 Receipt
Valid Foreign Passport stamped “Processed for I-551”
Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) with Visa or Passport
Permit to Reenter the U.S.
Refugee Travel Documents

Documents must be valid originals or certified copies that were issued in the United States (except for foreign passports). We do not accept photocopies. Permanent Resident Cards must be updated at age 14.

Maiden Names/Name Changes - You must present documentation of any name change if you will be presenting a proof of identity document that does not contain your current legal name. This may include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, adoption records or court order. See Name Changes.

If you cannot meet these requirements, contact us before applying for a license, permit or ID.

Residents of all U.S. territories and foreign countries must meet the Proof of Identity requirements and take vision, knowledge and skills tests.



  • Nevada Proof of Liability Insurance
    Out of state insurance is not acceptable. If your insurance is with a large, national company, you must notify the company that you have moved to Nevada. Make sure the name(s) on your insurance and registration match exactly. Motorists who do not maintain coverage from a Nevada-licensed carrier are subject to a registration suspension and reinstatement fee. You must notify your agent or company that you have moved to Nevada or purchase a policy here.
  • Nevada Emissions Vehicle Inspection Report (If Needed)
    Emissions inspections are required on gasoline and diesel powered cars and trucks, 1968 and newer, based in and around the Las Vegas and Reno areas. New vehicles are exempt on their first and second registrations. Diesel vehicles with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating over 14,000 pounds are also exempt. You must have the test completed in Nevada.
  • Your Current Registration Slip(s)
    Nearly all trailers must be registered and titled.
  • Title(s), Unless Held By Lien holder
    You have the option of retaining your out-of-state title. We strongly suggest getting a Nevada title if possible.
  • VIN Check(s)
    Vehicle Identification Number inspections are done at DMV offices. At larger offices, drive to the inspection station outside the main office first.
  • Your Out-of-State License Plates
    Bring them into the office with you.
  • Fees - Cash, Check, Money Order, E- Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, Amex
    Use our online fee quote service for an estimate of registration fees, which are partially based on vehicle value. Have your VIN ready and log on to


Contact DMV


Web Site



Las Vegas Area and 24-Hour Recorded Info 

(702) 486-4368

Reno/Sparks/Carson City

(775) 684-4368

Rural Nevada (Toll Free)

(877) 368-7828

TDD for the hearing impaired only

(775) 684-4904


*This information from as of 9-29-2009 for more information please visit their website.

Posted 2:06 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.